Thursday, September 5, 2013

NaNoWriMo 2013


I've joined NaNoWriMo this year.  A month of literary abandon.  An idea that in 1999 had 21 participants and has grown to being something of a  movement.   In 2011 over 250,000 aspiring novelists signed up and over 30,000 of them completed the challenge. 

I've committed to writing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. That's almost 1700 words a day.  Not an easy task.  Especially difficult for a perfectionist.

Friends for years have asked me if I was going to 'do' NaNoWriMo.  Personally, I've never seen the point.  My feelings?  How good can any writing possibly be if the author is only concerned with churning out words?  Quantity over context?  Never!

Yet here I am.  All signed up and steeling myself for November 1.  Why?  Well I am probably my own worst enemy when it comes to writing.  I love it and I do it every day but I find myself  making little progress.  I read, re-read, edit and re-edit my work as I go along.  I slow to a snails pace because I can't move forward until what I've written is the best I can make it.

I'm looking to break free and learn to just write.  Let the words flow and allow my writing to be flawed.  Trust that it will come together in edits, and re-edits.

I think NaNoWriMo may help me grow as a writer.  I'm not sure that I will create something that is publishable (even after numerous edits) in that thirty day time, but I am hoping to break free of my writing OCD, and that in itself would be a win for me. 

The rules also state that it needs to be started from scratch, so I won't be finishing up I'm working on currently or dragging out something I have had shelved.  I'm going to do this by the book.  

It should be interesting. And a lot of work.  And very gratifying. Wait... did I say terrifying or gratifying?

If anyone wants to check it out and/or join up, head over to http://www.nanowrimo.org

Look me up.  My NaNoWriMo name is Shakeabop. 

Counter starts  November 1.

tick
toc



NaNoWriMo Word Count

No comments:

Post a Comment